Thursday, February 28, 2013

Fat --> Fit : Trade that A for an I


Late 2012 I was asked if I had any interest in participating with a team of vegan athletes in a body building, figure and bikini competition. Since I was in high school cheerleading I had interest in competing in a fitness competition. I have since abandoned the desire to dance around like an idiot in some fucking weird costume, sneakers and fluffy crew socks…but I still want to build my body to a level unmatched at any time in my athletic career; in mid January I committed.



So here is my chance. Not only will I be fulfilling some fantasy I had as a 16 year old watching ESPN, but I will be competing with a group of people, making a stand against the common thought that without the use of animal proteins you cannot build a specific physique. It is the best version of the double edged sword; achieving childhood dreams and standing up for the rights of animals.

So July 27, 2013 it is going down at the Naturally Fit SuperShow in Austin, TX. I will be in the company of many accomplished body builders, novice folks like myself, and supported by several vegan companies. Veganproteins.com and Plantfusion.net have already contributed. Plant Fusion provided 6 two pound tubs of protein! I am in the process of finding other types of sponsors.

I have been big; I have been strong; I have been fast…but never fatless. I have never spent much time paying attention to my diet. I just ate food. Usually good food, well balanced, nutritionally dense items that would contribute…but I never counted calories, monitored my protein intake, drank a shake, or took any supplements. It is a whole new world…one I needed some help navigating.

Luckily I have some good friends and acquaintances who responded to my inquiries. I got a professionally developed workout, and nutrition consultation from a certified individual. It has helped; but I have not seen the results I wanted; at the same time you get back what you put in, and I can honestly say that the first 3 weeks of this process were very scattered and busy in my world. EXCUSES!!!!!!!!!

As a disclaimer…I did run for the first 6 months of 2012. And then I biked for a few months…and then I let my fitness go to shit. So at this time I pretty much starting from scratch. It isn’t pretty; more embarrassing than anything.

So here is the truth. UNDRESSED. UNCUT. Literally. I am without clothing, and covered in fat. When I was measured originally my body fat % was at 22.91%. Nearly a quarter of my total 147.4lbs was fat. Competition fat percentage is 8-12%. In my mind I need to drop at LEAST 12%. More would be better. I think I should lose at LEAST 20lbs. I can honestly say I haven’t weighed that little since middle school…but we’ll see how it all works out.

 
The numbers…as you can see I got heavier. That is not the goal. I am getting measured again Friday 03/01/2013. I hope something better (something I can be proud of) happens. We’ll see. I will no doubt report back.
Here are some photos comparing where I was on 1/19/2013 to 02/26/2013. All of the pictures are just relaxed. No sucking in, no flexing of any muscles. Also, after dinner. Ha. That is when I am home...I didn’t put any comments here…because I think it is pretty clear that I need work ALL AROUND. (And yes, I have had that sports bra since the mid 90's)





 It is a whole different world looking at myself in a still. No mirror where I can move and manipulate my body…I just look so doughy, shiny. Like my fat is trying to bust out of the skin…How attractive…Good thing its winter.

This is what I looked like earlier this week and how I feel when I analyze it. I would like to say that I look slightly better, but I don’t know if that is true. The most change I have seen in the gym is in my shoulders. I have some striations in my deltoids…and the other night I noticed a lat poppin’ out. That is nice…But I mostly don’t want things to “pop out;” I want them to BE OUT, hiding behind nothing but smooth skin.  




My diet:

 I was instructed to ingest 1800-1900 calories per day with a 40/30/30 breakdown of Carbs/Fat/Protein. I have been tracking my intake daily with myfitnesspal.com. Sometimes I don’t think it’s really my “pal;” more of a bitch telling me that I didn’t do a very good job. It is that honest friend you love/hate at the same time…I have some of those who are actual humans too, they are my favorite humans.

I fucked up an entire week of my food intake. Under special circumstances I didn’t plan like I should have. My own fault, but the reason for my lack of progress. I e-mailed my mentor with my progress, and expressed my concerns. She told me not to freak out—not my strong suit. I spend a lot of time in my own head; it was nice to have her snap me back to reality.

For the past 2 weeks I have done a good job. Preparing my entire week of lunches and breakfasts and bringing them to work. Setting alarms and eating according to a specific schedule. I vary my meals at dinner. No carbs or fruit after 3pm. I can honestly say that the no fruit part is the HARDEST. I love fruit, it is my go-to snack, typically…It is a bit easier since it is not summer…

I have been making a number of bowls; seasoned protein over vegetables with random marinades and sauces. If you have followed my blog recently you know I am in the process of cutting out soy…so some of my standard protein sources have had to be altered. (Tofu, soy curls…) I have done more beans and homemade seitan. Beans have a lot of carbs—not what I want.

My schedule is:

5:30 Weights (MTThF)

6:30 Shake

7:00 Work

8:30 Breakfast: Oatmeal + ¾ scoop protein powder and some fruit/vegetables

10:30 Shake

12:30 Lunch: Salad of some variety

2:30 Shake

4:00 Leave work

4:30 Cardio (30 minutes Mondays and Fridays) (60 Minutes Wednesdays)

6:30 Dinner; sometimes I’ll throw in a shake pre-dinner

8:30-9:00 Herbal Tea

Obviously this can fluctuate, but this is generally what I am trying to stick to for at least the next 4 weeks. Routine is important, I am 14 days into this one…just another week and it should be pretty nearly engrained in my brain hole.

I’ll update this post after I get my pinch done Friday. Check back…or I’ll blast it, so I’ll get y’all a reminder.

No comments:

Post a Comment