Thursday, March 14, 2013

Getting (Bike) Dressed



 I should be filing…but…

1.       It makes my back hurt, and

2.       It’s boring as hell

So I am going to write about how I get dressed to go biking in cold weather. It was super nice yesterday, which required only shorts and a jersey…but the weather for next week looks lame, so it might be back to the sleeves, pants, jacket, and gloves.



SOCKS

I like to start with m’ socks. I wear a thin pair first and then put on my STORM SOCKS. They are fleece lined neoprene socks. They are “waterproof.” But if you stand in a puddle long enough your feet will get wet. I begin with socks b/c I like them to go under my pants…and pulling tights higher than my ankle isn’t really conceivable.
STORM SOCKS!

BASE LAYER

I have a few long sleeve warm mock turtle shirts. I got all of these from SANTA. It is nice when Santa buys you nice workout clothes…that’s how I acquired 90% of mine. I have a pair of nice fleece-lined, padded-ass cycling pants. I just wear those. If they are dirty, I begin with a warm pair of running tights and finish with a pair of padded-ass cycling shorts.
Socks on. FLEECE LINED Base Layer


MID LAYER:

If it is 45-55 degrees I add a jersey on top of my long sleeves, I like having the internal pockets for my phone and such. I usually carry my I.D., some ca$h and a debit card. At lower temperatures I layer a half zip technical shirt for extra warmth, and if it is in the 30s I will slip on a fleece vest for extra core warmth.

STUFF:

                Extra Tube

                Multi Tool

                Red Flashing Tail Light (Which I lost yesterday…Lame)

                Hand Pump

                Fleece Headband

                Neck Gator (Not Pictured)

                Winter Cycling Gloves

I put the tube and associated tools in my waterproof jacket, which you have yet to put on. Clip on my light and turn it on.

FINISHING TOUCHES:

I like to add the Gator and Headband, followed by my waterproof jacket; zipped and clipped. Shoes are next. It is time to make my way near my bike (Pre-ride check), strap on my helmet, and turn on my head light, if necessary.



Lastly, gloves; ALWAYS put your cuffs over the gloves. This helps keep water from running down into my gloves; this matters more if you have gauntlet style. Not to mention you won’t look totally dorky. (But who doesn’t look ridiculous in a helmet?) I always do gloves last, b/c I have to push small buttons, and close the garage, etc…


Yeah, then I ride my bike.

If you are too hot, then wear less stuff next time…or I guess you could always work less hard, but who the fuck am I kidding? GO FAST. If you are too cold, try pedaling harder. If it is raining don’t worry that’s why you are wearing a jacket. Plus, you should be sweating enough that you get equally as soggy from the inside of all that fabric.

Be Safe.

Don’t forget to charge your lights and such…


No comments:

Post a Comment